rss-icon facebook-icon twitter-icon pinterest-icon google-plus-icon

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Big, Bad, Middle School

I just watched my oldest baby get on the bus heading off to his first day of middle school.

[wiping away tears] [quivering in fear]

The bus scares the daylights out of me. Hell, the whole idea of middle school does. It would scare you too if you had to deal with rumors like this.

W. was extremely excited about embarking on this new journey. He couldn't fall asleep last night and ended up in my bed. I rubbed his back and sang him lullabies, per his request.

He woke up all through the night checking the time on the alarm clock. Of course he couldn't just LOOK and go back to sleep, he had to ASK what time it was. Needless to say, I'm a tad exhausted this morning.

I think my boy is turning a corner. He's always been somewhat immature, however, Mr. Schmitty and I have noticed the last few weeks that this is changing. He's been less combative and more cooperative. Instead of being dramatic when something doesn't quite go his way, he's shaking it off and moving on. He's even being HELPFUL and doing things the.first.time.he.is.asked!

Thank You LORD!

Last night we joked and laughed as I asked him, "Who are you and what have you done with my kid?"

My son is growing up. Such a bittersweet statement.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

And to think I was about to have a coronary over Pre-K! I guess this means the "fun part" of motherhood is almost over, huh? Almost makes you want another baby..ok. That has me spitting out my OWN coffeee!

Zephra said...

Oh God. First day of middle school. I was such a wreck. It turned out it was okay and he survived. of course, I had the same worries the day Sara started.

The Fritz Facts said...

The first day of middle school was exciting for Hunter, but so terrifying for the rest of us. He did not have a good elementary school, so we were scared.

Unknown said...

awwwwww Mrs Schmitty...I feel your pain and angst...I have 3 beans at 3 different schools...it's crazy BUT as I say...it;s their world I just blog in it!

Big Hugs to you and know that next yr when lilest bean(a 5th grader) starts middle school there will be a service for me because I will freak out that MY baby is a middle schooler!

Anonymous said...

Middle school scares me, too. And after reading that Rainbow Party post, I'm terrified!

Bonnie the Boss said...

Pretty soon he will be a teenager and his brain will fall out. Enjoy the time while it is here, and blog about it a lot. That way you can look back fondly at the time when he was sweet and helpful.