rss-icon facebook-icon twitter-icon pinterest-icon google-plus-icon

Monday, August 10, 2009

Dear American Idol


My husband and I went to the 2009 concert tour on Saturday night. We are both big fans of your show and tuned in when you debuted on June 11, 2002. Since then we have watched every season, been to numerous tour concerts, and have much of each season's music uploaded to our iPods.

You might say we are hooked.

I have loved that this is a show I can watch with my kids. They sometimes like to judge the performances themselves and pick their favorites to win.

My oldest son has even attended a past concert with me. I also look forward to taking him and my younger children to future shows.

Well, I WAS looking forward to it, until Saturday night.

Most of the night was wonderful. The singers were great and my husband and I were enjoying ourselves.

Next up was Adam Lambert. Now, I am not a huge fan of his. He's just not my cup of tea. I believe he is more of a Broadway type singer than an American Idol. I think his singing ability is fantastic, but he is just too over the top for me.

Apparently, by the way the audience reacted, I am a minority. He has a very large following. I was curious to see how he would be live. He began his act singing "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. He did not disappoint with his voice. I must admit his voice is amazing!

He is very much the showman. His performance was quite theatrical and entertaining. That is until he, in my opinion, crossed the line.

Is it really necessary, with an audience loaded with children, tweens, and teens, for a grown man to grab his package? And to make matters worse, did he have to follow that up with having the mic stand between his legs and then stroking it upward while singing, "I'm Gonna Give You My Love"?

It was an exaggerated gesture. Intentional. And quite honestly, disgusting.

I'm far from a prude...but SERIOUSLY? WTF?! He should be ashamed of himself. Actually the whole production should be.

I find it very disturbing that he would be allowed to act in such a sexual way. Isn't he representing a show that is watched by many FAMILIES?

Not cool American Idol, NOT cool at all.

6 comments:

ThatsBaloney said...

Tribute to Michael Jackson?
Yuck.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Oh my hell, you have got to be kidding me. That is one of the reasons I love the show too, is that it is family friendly! But crotch grabbing? How did the audience react?

Patois42 said...

Baloney made me laugh.

I'm in agreement with you, though, since it is purportedly family-friendly.

meleah rebeccah said...

I agree with you, that was over the line. But people used to think Elvis was over the line too when he used to swing his hips!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

He should do that stuff when he starts touring on his own. Not before. Out of line.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

But Elvis wasn't grabbing his package or mimicking stroking a man's...well, you know! Totally different!