rss-icon facebook-icon twitter-icon pinterest-icon google-plus-icon

Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Safe Side

Has anyone seen the DVD series The Safe Side? The DVDs were created by John Walsh (host of America's Most Wanted) and Julie Clark (the creator of Baby Einstein). They have 2 videos; "Stranger Safety" and "Internet Safety" and use silly kid humor to get their message across.

Mr. Schmitty and I had taken the kids to Applebee's last week and on the back of the kid's menu was a promotional code that allowed you to purchase the set for only $14.99 (original price is $21.99). So, if you frequent Applebee's make sure to get your code too. Even without the discount the price is more than reasonable, especially when it comes to kid safety. I ordered the DVDs and received them in 2 days.

The boys and I watched the Stranger Safety DVD together last night. It's very, very silly, but they loved it. The slap-stick comedy kept their attention and made the subject less scary. The host, Safe Side Superchick, does a great job of explaining stranger danger in a way a kid would understand. So much better than I try to do. She explains strangers as "Don't Knows" and "Kinda Knows" and who the child's "Safe Side Adults" are. I paused the player periodically to go over these points with the boys and they were SO getting it. It really made me feel comforted. The best part of the video is that they wanted to watch it again and again!

I plan on watching the "Internet Safety" one with W. this weekend. I don't allow him on the internet yet without me present, however, he is getting to the age where he'll be using the computer more and more for school work. I guess it's never too early to start.

Take a look at the video below to see what it's all about. It's, in my honest opinion, a great investment for the safety of our children!

9 comments:

Internet Safety Queen said...

It is never too early to start teaching our children about online safety.

Make sure you take a look at NetSmartz. For the past two years, I've used part of the Netsmartz lessons/activities/videos with my kids--all 250 of them. They have some really awesome/cute videos--free by the way. I put on a presentation this year from the NetSmartz organization to celebrate our towns "Internet Safety Day". The kids ROCKED!!

(If you want more information, either email me or check out my site)

Go Clicky and Safe Side Super Chick..!!

Have a great weekend!

Maria said...

I liked what I saw...but I still worry. I mean, Liv knows it all, we practice a lot. She knows that she is to scream, kick, anything in a bad situation. And yet...I know her. She is seven and can still be easily fooled by an adult.

But, I am ALL for anything and everything that will help.

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

This is a good idea. I'll have to make the investment myself. I like the concept of staying away from the "Kinda Knows." Especially since it seems that most children are kidnapped or worse by the people they "kinda knew." Scary.

moodswingingmommy said...

Thanks for the tip. It's a scary world out there, and sometimes it makes me wish I hadn't had children!

Justice Fergie said...

i did hear about this video at an Internet conference. A part of me thinks my daughters are too young but I guess it's never to early to teach safety. thanks!

Heather said...

Our Ped gave us a copy of those at the kids check ups this year. Something the office does for the young families. My kids watch them ALL the time! They like them better than the crackhead Doodlebops and that is saying A LOT!

Heather said...

How have you been feeling??? Update please!!! :)

Life As I Know It said...

Oh, I'm glad I came across your blog and saw this post. I haven't had any "stranger" talks with my 5 yr old yet, but I really need to. Maybe we'll get this video to help.

Angel said...

I saw Julie Clark and John Walsh on the Today Show a while back and they were talking about this video venture they had made. I like your review of it. My kids are almost 3 and 18 months so this video will probably have to come into play in the next year or so.