rss-icon facebook-icon twitter-icon pinterest-icon google-plus-icon

Friday, January 12, 2007

Do we really need that much cereal?

I hate grocery shopping. I really HATE it. Other than sending Mr. Schmitty out to pick up odds and ends during the week, like bread and milk, my grocery shopping is kept to twice a month. I can only handle battling a cart through the aisles twice a month. I think I would seriously hurt someone with the cart if I had to go more than that. And those people who think they own the place and come right toward you, bumping into you as though you weren't there would be the first to experience my wrath. So, when the time comes and the cupboard is bare, I head out, usually with T. and R. in tow. Drawback number one. It's very difficult to whiz through any place that sells candy, cookies, and other tooth decaying products when you have a 3 and 4 year old on board. It's especially irritating when the cartoon character of the moment is on all of the packaging just daring me to say no again to my now whining children. And do they really have to place that stuff in the checkout line? It's only a matter of time before one of them learns to stick the Starbursts in their pocket because they know mommy isn't putting it on the conveyor belt. My preschoolers are destined to be on the store's most wanted list.

I finally get through checkout, R. is doing her infamous fake cry and T. is on my last nerve because he won't stay buckled and seated. Other customers are looking at me and they must be thinking I have a small army at home because I'm pushing/pulling two carts. I want to scream at them, like I have to explain myself, "It's TWO WEEKS worth of food!" I get it all in the car and glance at the clock, two hours, I spent two HOURS in the store. Now I have to carry it all in the house and put it away.

I have to feed T. and R. because if I don't give them something to do they will try to help. Helping is them unpacking everything I need to carry downstairs (we live in a split level). Helping is them hugging the bread to hand it to me. Helping is them running across the room carrying a dozen eggs. So, instead I feed them. I get just about everything put away realizing that because I didn't write a list this morning that I have purchased things I already have. So for the next shopping trip I definitely don't need spaghetti, tuna, and grape jelly. And I really think 9 different kinds of cereal is sufficient.

Maybe I'll cut back to every three weeks.

1 comment:

Rootietoot said...

There for a while, SD was paid once a month, so we bought groceries once a month. With a 4 yr old, a 3 yr old, and an 18 month old. I despised it with an all-consuming passion, but, once a month and it was out of the way.

I feel your pain. If the kids weren't so young and all, I'd say self medicate with a vodka tonic when you get home. But I don't know if you can do that.