rss-icon facebook-icon twitter-icon pinterest-icon google-plus-icon

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Take Us Back In Time Tuesday - 7/28/09

I love looking back through old photos. Anyone and everyone's photos. What I love even more is hearing the stories that accompany them. Every photo has a memory. Every photo invokes an emotion or feeling.

I decided to begin a weekly post entitled, "Take Us Back In Time Tuesday". Each week I will include a photo from my past and tell you, my readers, the story behind it. I would love to hear your tales, as well. So, if you would like to, please read this to find out how to participate.

Now, without further ado, my first "Take Us Back In Time Tuesday" post:

*********************************************************

Last week my boys were attending their summer religious classes. Each had to bring in a photo of their Baptism. I smiled as I pulled T.'s photo from it's album. There were happy faces on all; a typical, joyous celebration.

I then found W.'s photo.


Though the faces are smiling, there is nothing festive about the occasion. My face is still blotchy and red from the tears that had been wiped away, only moments before the camera flashed. My son was less than 24 hours old. We had just been told, during his 23rd hour, that he was sick. He needed to be taken, to the next state, to have open heart surgery. We were told that it might be a good idea to have our priest come to perform his Baptism. You know, "just in case".

Mr. Schmitty's brother and sister were to be W.'s Godparents. We assumed they were over an hour away at work and at home, respectively. There was no way they would be able to arrive in time; the ambulance was preparing for our departure. We did not know, that they were indeed, close to the hospital. Even under the stress of the situation, I was blamed, by a few, for not knowing that.

Our minds were a rush of, "What do we do?"

Always thinking as one, we knew who we needed to contact. We called our best friends, who were at our sides within minutes. They were there for us in all the ways that we needed them to be. No words were spoken. No questions asked.

No greater people to be our son's Godparents.

As Father Pat blessed our son, we looked on with a mixture of emotions: happiness at the birth of our son, fear of what might happen, anger at why he would need to suffer, and gratefulness to those around us for being our strength to lean on.

*********************************************************

Did you post your own "Take Us Back In Time Tuesday" post? Please read the guidelines and then leave your direct link below on Mr. Linky.


8 comments:

Jill said...

This is a great idea for a meme. I'm going to have to do some digging to come up with something!

Thanks for sharing his story. So happy that it had a happy ending!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post-you had me in tears!

Momo Fali said...

Aw! I understand how having a sick baby can leave you with such mixed emotions! I totally related to this post.

Unknown said...

Aww. What a heat aching, and beautiful story. Thank you for sharing this with us, your readers. I would love to participate, and if I can figure out my scanner to upload old photos, I indeed will try! Great idea!

ThatsBaloney said...

Ahhh - one more reason to get my scanner fixed.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

These are amazing memories and I'd like to get involved. I will try to remember to do this next week. It's a great idea!

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

i love this idea. Next Tuesday I'll post mine!! Thanks for sharing a beautiful post with us- as always! Missed you at BlogHer. Did I say that already?
Will see you in NYC!

Patois42 said...

Wow! What a great trip back in time.