Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Bug From Hell or How NOT to spend Valentine's Day Weekend

Saturday, Feb. 14th, 1:45 am: I just settled into bed. Mr. Schmitty and I stayed up; he playing Xbox and I reading blogs.

2 am: R. comes into my room saying her tummy hurts. She proceeds to vomit into the garbage can. (Why do they always vomit in the middle of the night?)

2 - 5 am: I, propped up on pillows, watch my daughter and fade in and out of sleep, waking periodically to hold the garbage can under her chin.

5 am: Switch places with Mr. Schmitty because I'm delirious.

5 - 10 am: R. continues to get sick off and on. She is bundled up on the couch watching a Spongebob marathon. She isn't even interested in the Valentine's Day gift she got.

10 am - Sunday, Feb. 15th, 5 am: R. has managed to hold down liquids and some cheerios. She seems like she is doing okay. It must have only been a 12 hour bug.

5:05 am: R. vomits again. WTF?!

5:05 - 5 pm: R. flip flops back and forth from being able to keep liquid down for a while and then, just when you think it's over, it starts again.

5 pm: Suddenly Mr. Schmitty doesn't feel well. He rushes to the bathroom. He begins the nightmare.

5:10 pm: Now I become nauseous.

5:30 pm: I run to the bathroom.

5:30 - 6:15 pm: Mr. Schmitty is in the upstairs bathroom. I am in the downstairs bathroom. My daughter is in the living room with a garbage can. I run back and forth between my toilet and her. The boys don't know what to do with themselves. I'm trying to keep them away but they want to help.

6:30 pm: R. falls asleep on the couch. I am lying in the hallway outside of the bathroom with my head on the step going into the laundry room. Mr. Schmitty practically crawls downstairs to me. We call the neighbor who is a member of the town first aid.

6:35 pm: He comes over, accesses and calls an ambulance.

Now, nothing the Schmitty's do is without excitement, so picture this:

When the neighbor called the ambulance, he was sent to the county dispatch instead of our town first aid. He said he had a family with flu-like symptoms. They thought maybe CO poisoning (Carbon Monoxide), so they sent police, the fire chief, a fire truck, AND an ambulance. The neighborhood was lit up like the 4th of July.

We are close to a lot of neighbors so EVERYONE was out there. R. was carried out. I was helped out by a police officer because I thought I might pass out, and Mr. Schmitty was almost forgotten in the john. My brother-in-law came to watch the boys until my sister-in-law could get here. He wouldn't come near the house so he stayed with them in the car. (wimp-ass)

Once we got to the hospital, they gave us IV fluids and meds to stop the vomiting and stomach cramping. Mr. Schmitty and I were discharged at midnight but R. needed to stay overnight for more fluids. He and I stayed, sleeping on chairs, until she was discharged at 4 pm on Monday.

The hubby just HAD to take this from HIS bed. Don't I look lovely? Look at my sleeping angel.

We are all home. The boys, thankfully haven't shown any signs of coming down with it yet. R. is doing great. Mr. Schmitty and I are still feeling like we got run over, repeatedly, by a MACK truck. But we're getting there......little by little.


Jill said...

Oh! That's awful! (But I best you lost some lbs! :-)

Hope everyone is feeling better soon!!

Laura said...

Oh no!!! That sucks! Hope you are all starting to feel better - sending lots of hugs, and best wishes and healthy vibes...from a distance!!!!

Kristin.... said...

Found you thru Jill.

Our family of 6 had this exact same thing over Thanksgiving weekend. My 7 year old daughter was spared the brunt of it and took care of her 2 year old twin sisters and her 4 year old brother while they vomited and my husband and I were barely conscious.

All kinds of awesome! Hope you feel better.

Valerie said...

Oh no, I hope you are all back to health soon.

Chris said...

Yucky!!! Hope you all feel better soon. And, I guess it's safe to assume that it was not in fact CO poisoning. What was it? The super duper flu?

Stacie said...

OH NO, I hope you all are on the mend now!

Karly said...

They called an ambulance over the FLU? Jesus! That must have been some serious puking you guys had going on! Hope you are starting to feel better!

The Fritz Facts said...

Oh hun! I hope the MACK truck leaves soon, that is no fun. I am thinking of you!!

Zephra said...

I just got over that last week. Just when you think you are doing better and can try to eat something...well, I guess you know. Took me 4 days to get back to normal and start eating.

Trenches of Mommyhood said...

Hope you're all feeling better!

This Mom said...

SO was it the flu or CO poisioning???

Glad everyone is better or at least on the mend.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Oh my heck I am so sorry!!! I do love the way you tell it though! So did they figure out what was up?

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

OMG I am so so sorry. :(

Hope everyone is on the mend now!

You deserve a Valentine's do over.

Sabrae Carter said...

O my goodness!!! So was it in fact CO posioning??? Hope you are all better now and have the problem fixed!!! That is scary!

Elise said...

Good heavens, how aweful!!

River said...

Have you reviewed the meals you all ate and discovered what you three ate that the boys didn't? There's your culprit. Or else your boys have cast iron stomachs.

Bee and Rose said...

How awful! I am glad to hear that you're all on the mend! That's horrible! Sending tons of get well wishes!

kristi said...

So sorry bout that! When I was sick with horrible explosive diarrhea, the first thing I did, when I could move, is go to the scale and weigh. Sad, huh?

Megryansmom said...

OH MY HOLY HELL! That's terrible. Hope you're all getting better quickly.

Midwest Mommy said...

OMG! Are you kidding me? That is horrible.

Patois said...

I'm so glad you guys are all okay. What a horrible adventure.

Mommy Cracked said...

Oh my word!! I am just getting caught up on my blog reading and saw this! I hope you guys are MUCH, MUCH better by now.

Tiddly Inks said...

Oh, damnation...stupid blogger deleted my amazingly awesome comment....:(

So now you are left with this boring one....glad you are feeling better! :)

PS: Next time you stay up with Mr. Schmitty until 1 AM, use the time better. LOL