rss-icon facebook-icon twitter-icon pinterest-icon google-plus-icon

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark

Did you ever see that old movie? It was released in 1973. It is one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. It traumatized me for years.

I believe I was ten years old when I saw it on a rainy, Sunday afternoon. It was a perfect day for lounging on the couch, under a blanket, watching movies. My dad, of course, was in charge of what would be watched. He was one of THOSE dads. The kind that controlled the television when he was home, whether he was watching it or not.

From the second the eerie music started, I was frozen in my place. I was scared shitless, but I couldn't stop watching. I pressed myself deeper into the couch and peered from under the blanket. I was convinced that I would never sleep again.

Our house was an old one. We had a small, dark closet under the staircase. I swore it was the place that those THINGS from the movie lived. I wouldn't go near it. When it became night, I would run past the door, I was so afraid that I would be grabbed and pulled in.

I don't know where I thought I'd go, once I was pulled in. The closet could barely hold an adult. But as a kid you think ANYTHING can happen.

I just read recently that there is a remake in the works and will star Katie Holmes. The mere mention of the movie sent goosebumps down my arms. Can you imagine how terrifying that will be with today's special effects?

I can tell you this, I WON'T be buying any tickets to the theater for that show. No Way. No How!

5 comments:

Krystal said...

I can not watch scary movie trailers, much less the whole movie... I had to cover that freaky picture you had up on this post.

My husband thanks you for it, I will now be sleeping with the light on tonight!

The Fritz Facts said...

I hate scary movies, freaked out as a kid too. We watched Nightmare on Elm Street once and ever since...no thank you.

ThatsBaloney said...

What the hell are those things?!
I can't watch scary movies since The Ring. That one messed me up for good. Jumped out of my skin every time the phone rang for a while.

Tricia said...

I won't be standing in that ticket line either, for the same reason.

Patois42 said...

Mentioning Katie Holmes is enough to scare me.